Wednesday, July 22, 2009

67 Minutes






What is 67 minutes?

An initiative by Nelson Mandela to use 67 minutes of your day (his birthday) to do something good for someone else.
My work encouraged the staff to do something – pack your cupboards and toss out old clothes, spend time with the elderly, plant a tree, write a poem etc.

What did I do?


I decided to allocate a budget of R67.00 to buy bread and give it to various people on my way home from the store. I managed to get 15 loaves.

The series of events in pictures:

  • My husband packing the bread in the boot of our car
  • An old lady standing outside her house, looking very uncertain as to why I was approaching
  • This lady was walking with her kids, but when I approached them, the kids walked faster, away from me. She couldn’t believe that I was giving her something for nothing. Even asked me what was the catch?
  • This man was very grateful. (Pic taken from inside the car, I had just come from a dental appointment and my mouth was numb, not to mention being 7 months pregnant, having to get in and out of the car finally took its toll)
  • Lady on the corner who looked very sad.
  • These kids were jumping rope and were reluctant to accept the bread, but happy to pose for the pic.
  • While driving down Voortrekker road - I noticed a fire and people sitting around it.
    We hooted and this couple came from the “forest” and confirmed that there were ten families living in the woods. Luckily for us, I had 10 loaves left. They couldn’t bless us enough.

What this has reminded me:


Everyday has 67 minutes - you don’t need an occasion to care.
People are appreciative of the simplest things.
Alhamdoelilah, we are truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Bless you girl, very very nice.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 22, 2009

    That was a very touching story. Loved it. Y will be blessed!Lesley

    ReplyDelete